Sambhar Potato & Spinach (heat 6/10)
A lovely vegetarian main course or side dish - spinach and potato are a great combination (30g net). Or if you are a meat-eater having a quick peruse of this section, visit our Mauritian curry, which uses lamb and chickpeas for a deliciously tangy curry!
- 1 packet Sambhar mix (recipe card included)
- 150ml/1/4 pint 'your secret sauce'
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g/1lb potatoes, par-boiled and sliced (about 5mm)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan, then add the spice mix and stir until fragrant.
- Add the 'secret sauce' and bring to a simmer.
- Add the potatoes, cover and cook until they are tender and the liquid has evaporated.
- When you are ready to eat stir in the spinach until wilted and add lemon juice to taste.
- I took my eye off the ball and nearly burnt the potatoes the first time I cooked this! It turned out to be blind genius as they went crispy, and once the lemon juice and spinach was added there was an extra crunch to the dish!