Chickpea & Potato Curry (heat 4/10)
Our version of chana masala. A very popular combination which heats up next day should you have any leftovers! (30g net)
- 1 packet chickpea and potato spice mix (recipe card included!)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 250g/1/2lb potatoes, peeled, cut into bite-sized pieces and parboiled
- 300ml/1/2pint ‘your secret sauce’
- Juice 1 lime
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped, to serve
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the spice mix. Fry until fragrant,
- Add ‘your secret sauce’ and tomato puree and combine.
- Add the chickpeas and potatoes and cook gently for half an hour.
- Add the lime juice to taste.
- Serve with the coriander stirred in.
- Delicious served with mango chutney, and yoghurt mixed with a small amount of mint sauce.
- Obviously dried chickpeas will work beautifully (about 100g/4oz dried weight, soaked overnight then boiled and simmered till al dente - as the Indians say!), but as we always cook this as part of a collection of curries, it is just so easy to use the tins.
- Leftovers make a delicious soup: just liquidise roughly or sieve so that the texture is not too smooth, adding a little hot water and tomato puree should it be too thick.