Indonesian Chicken Curry, Aceh-style (heat 5/10)
The lime and lemongrass in this recipe means that it tastes more like a Thai curry than any of our others. Gorgeous as a vegetarian meal! (35g net) NB contains almonds
- 1 packet Aceh chicken curry mix (recipe card included!)
- 3 tbsp groundnut oil (if you have it, otherwise vegetable oil is fine)
- 700g/1.5lb chicken, cut into strips
- 300ml/1/2 pint ‘secret sauce’
- 120g/4oz creamed coconut, dissolved in 120ml hot water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
- Juice ½ lime
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and fry the spice mix until fragrant.
- Add ‘your secret sauce’, soy sauce, lemongrass and coconut, bring to the boil and simmer for at least an hour. Add a further 120ml water if it is very thick.
- Add the lime juice to taste. It should have a bit of a tang.
- Fry the chicken in the remaining oil for a couple of minutes. Add it to the liquid 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with rice and sprinkled with the coriander.
- How to turn this into a vegetarian recipe: Prepare the sauce as far as no:3. Chop 1 medium peeled potato, 1 large carrot, 1 pepper, 1 stick celery into 1cm cubes.
- Add the vegetables to a pan with about 120ml water and 1tbsp oil. Bring to the boil and simmer until firm and not quite cooked.
- Strain and add them to the sauce with a can of drained chickpeas, and cook gently for about 20 minutes (not too long or the texture will be lost).
- Serve with rice or bread, scattered with chopped coriander.