Lentil Dahl (heat 2/10)
This is the traditional lentil accompaniment to Indian food. A very simple, non-spicy side-dish, a traditional tarka dahl would have whole spices fried and stirred in at the end, but we have simplified it so you can concentrate on the other dishes! (30g net)
- 1 packet Dahl mix (recipe card included)
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1.5 litres water
- 300ml/1/2 pint 'secret sauce'
- 250g/1/2 lb red lentils
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- handful chopped coriander, to serve
- Place the lentils in a pan with the water, secret sauce, tomato puree and sugar. Bring to the boil, then simmer until soft (about half an hour). This can be done well in advance.
- Prior to serving, heat the oil and quickly fry the spices. Add to the lentils, stir in and cook for a few more minutes. Longer is fine.
- Add lemon juice to give it a tang, and serve scattered with the coriander.