Fajitas - hot (heat 10/10)
This is hot! We use some of the chillies which go in our Vindaloo and 3 Chilli Phall blends, so be warned! (30g net)
- 1 packet Fajita - hot mix
- 450g/ 1lb chicken/turkey breast or beef steak, cut into strips 1/2cm by 3cm
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 bell pepper, or preferably two halves of different colours, sliced thinly
- 1tbsp oil
- Mix the chicken or beef strips with the fajita powder and leave to marinate for at least an hour
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok and fry the meat on a very high heat for a couple of minutes before adding the vegetables
- Stir fry everything until the chicken is cooked, if using, or the vegetables are cooked but still crunchy. It is important not to overcook the beef as it will become tough.
- Serve in warm tortillas with refried beans, salsa, sour cream or crème fraiche, and pickled chillies.
- See our recipe for lime and avocado salad, which is a refreshing and simple alternative to guacamole. The braver amongst you can also try hot tomato salsa, aka fool’s pickle!
- If you are not using very expensive meat, such as fillet steak, then buy beef escalopes. They are already sliced thinly, and if you then cut it into strips as above, it should be very tender after flash cooking.
- You can make your own refried black beans by taking a quantity of cooked beans, place in a pan with a couple of tablespoons of water and a whole garlic clove. Cook gently, mashing the beans, until the water is absorbed. It can be recooked with more water being added.