Tikka Masala (heat 2/10)
We felt this had to be in our repertoire, and it has been a hit, presumably because it's quite a safe option! The blend is excellent for bbq marinades, mixed with yoghurt and lemon juice (see our BBQ section). Or see our Chicken Chilli Masala recipe for a much hotter version! (40g net) NB contains mustard.
- 1 packet tikka masala spice mix (recipe card included)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 700g/1.5lbs chicken cut into strips, or large prawns
- Juice of half lemon (1-2 tbsp)
- 300ml/1/2 pint ‘secret sauce’
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp thick yoghurt or crème fraiche
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped, to serve
- Mix half the spices with 1 tbsp oil and the lemon juice, add the chicken or prawns and leave to marinade for an hour or longer.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and fry the remaining spices until fragrant, then add the ‘secret sauce’ and tomatoes and simmer for about an hour.
- Briefly fry the chicken separately in the remaining oil, then add this or the prawns to the sauce ten minutes before serving.
- Add the yoghurt or crème fraiche, and cook until the flavours have been absorbed (about 10 minutes).
- Serve with rice and flatbreads and scattered with the coriander.
- If you are cooking this on its own you do not need the ‘secret sauce’; instead you can gently fry a finely chopped onion, add the spices, 2 cloves chopped garlic and a can of chopped tomatoes.