British Curry Powder (heat 2/10)
Here is the recipe for the curry you didn't know you had missed! For variations and other ideas for our British curry powder please go to 'British curry powder' within 'Other recipes' in our Cookbook section! (40g net)
Ingredients: turmeric, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, salt, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, black pepper, garlic, paprika, sugar, yellow mustard seeds, asafoetida Allergens: see items in bold
- 500g/1lb chicken strips/minced beef/ Cumberland sausages, quartered
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 packet British curry spice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small eating apple, finely diced
- 1 stock cube (chicken, beef or vegetable) plus 270ml/1/2pint hot water
- Handful sultanas (optional, especially in our house!)
- Mango chutney, sliced banana and a sprinkling of desiccated coconut to serve
- Fry the meat in the oil until browned, then remove.
- Sauté the vegetables and apple very gently for about 20 minutes, using a little more oil if you think necessary, then add the spice mix and stir until fragrant.
- Crumble the stock cube into the pan, add the water and bring to the boil.
- If you are using the mince or sausages, return them to the pan at this stage. Simmer the sauce for about an hour. The idea is for the vegetables to break down until very soft, especially the apple.
- If using the chicken, return to the pan 10 minutes before serving.
- If you like the sultana idea, add them when you put the rice on to cook (10 minutes ahead of eating).