Burmese curry (heat 4/10)
Sesame oil, soy sauce, and the carraway seeds in the spice blend may sound unusual for a curry, but the result is delicious (40g net).
- 1 packet Burmese curry spice blend (recipe card included)
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 700g-1kg/1.5-2lbs chicken on the bone (breast or thigh)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 300ml/1/2 pint ‘secret sauce’
- 2-3 fresh red chillies, chopped
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Remove any skin from the chicken. Mix 2tbsp of the oil with the curry mix and cover the chicken pieces. Leave to marinate for at least a few hours and preferably overnight
- Heat the remaining oil in a heavy pan and gently fry the onion until translucent.
- Turn up the heat and add the chicken, frying until brown.
- Add ‘your secret sauce’ and soy sauce, bring to the boil then simmer for an hour.
- Serve with rice and scattered with the coriander and red chillies.
- Note that the chicken is cooked for much longer than our other recipes as it is on the bone. It will fall apart when eaten rather than drying out
- The sesame oil is vital to the flavour of this curry, so please don't use anything else!