Sambal Belachan Recipe
This is a dried shrimp paste or sambal. Belachan is readily available online or in chinese supermarkets, and must be dry-roasted before use as it is raw! Serve this with our Black Hokkien Noodles recipe.
- 4-5 birds eye chillies
- 1 tsp sugar
- large pinch salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp belachan (raw dried shrimp paste)
- Dry-roast the belachan. This can be done by holding the spoon over a gas-flame, or dry-fry it in a pan until it is fragrant.
- Blend all the ingredients together.
- Store in a jar in the fridge, where it will keep for several weeks.
- NB This can be found ready-made but it tastes completely different due to the vinegar used as a preservative.
Send Us Your Comments
Please fill out the form below to let us know your comments.