Bean Curry (heat 4/10)
A tomato-based bean curry which also works well with chickpeas, peppers & squash (40g net)
- 1 packet Bean curry spice blend (recipe card included)
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 300ml/1/2 pint 'your secret sauce'
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 400g tins beans, drained and rinsed, or 150g dried beans, soaked overnight then simmered until tender
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 15g (1 small supermarket packet) coriander
- 2/3 fresh birds eye chillies (optional)
- Fry the onion gently in the oil for about 15 minutes until soft
- Add the spices and fry until fragrant, then add the 'secret sauce' and bring to the boil
- Stir in the beans, then the tomatoes and optional chillies and simmer for at least an hour
- If the curry becomes too dry, add a little water and more tomato puree
- Serve with rice or chapatis and chopped coriander
- Delicious served with mango chutney, and yoghurt mixed with a small amount of mint sauce.
- We like to use a mixture of beans to add colour contrast, so try kidney and butter beans, or black beans and pinto beans. They all also have different textures and flavours, although for this recipe they will absorb the spice and tomato.