Indonesian Beef Curry, Padang-style (9/10)
A delicious creamy beef curry. Coming from Sumatra it should be very hot, but we have toned it down a little (40g net).
- 1 packet beef curry Padang-style mix
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 300ml/ 1/2 pint 'secret sauce'
- 700g/1.5lb beef escalopes, venison or lamb, cut into thin strips
- 1 400g can full-fat coconut milk
- Fresh chillies, chopped (optional)
- Handful of coriander, to serve
- Heat the oil and fry the spice mix until fragrant.
- Turn up the heat, add the meat and brown all over. Add the chillies here, if using.
- Add the secret sauce and coconut milk to the pan, bring to the boil then simmer for at least two hours or until the meat is very tender. The consistency should be very thick and creamy.
- Serve with rice and sprinkled with coriander.
- As we always say: always full-fat coconut milk.
- You could always try this with chicken. Just give the sauce an hour's simmering, then add the meat 10 minutes before serving.
- We always cook our curries in a wok,which means they thicken up more than when cooked in a covered dish. So if yours looks watery just try taking the lid off!