Taco Yucatan-Style (Mayan Lightning!) heat 9/10
A very, very hot version using home-grown habanero chillies! (30g net).
- 1 packet Yucatan Taco mix (Mayan lightning!)- recipe card included
- 450g/ 1lb beef mince/finely sliced fillet or escalope of beef
- 1 beef stock cube (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil (optional)
- 2 tbsp water
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- Grated cheese
- Fresh tomato salsa (see recipe)
- Fry the beef mince with the taco mix in a heavy pan. After a couple of minutes add the water and stock cube, if using.
- Cook gently until the liquid is absorbed.
- If using the steak, marinate in the oil and spices for about an hour beforehand (longer if possible), then fry very quickly (a couple of minutes).
- Warm the tortillas, and serve stuffed with the meat and other ingredients.
- Warning! This will not be a popular choice for family dining or people with a low heat-threshhold! It is the 'phall' of Mexican cooking!
- This is very much street food, so don’t expect to eat them tidily!
- A lot of commercial corn tortillas have wheat in them. Mexgrocers.co.uk sells much more authentic ones in large packets.
- Can be served as a starter by using small tortilla chips and spooning the mince and other stuff on before eating in one mouthful. Try using a crisp lettuce leaf such as iceberg or gem instead of the tortilla chip.
- Leftovers are absolutely perfect to add bite to a pizza - in fact this is my favourite way of eating it!