Taco Oaxaca-Style (heat 3/10)
- 1 packet Oaxaca Taco mix (recipe card included)
- 450g/ 1lb chicken breast, each cut into several pieces
- 1 tbsp oil
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- Grated cheese
- Fresh tomato salsa (see recipe)
- Place the chicken in a frying pan or wok with about 120ml/quarter pint boiling water, and poach until the pieces are cooked (white) on the outside (2-3 minutes).
- Remove the chicken onto a board and, using two forks, roughly shred the meat. It doesn't matter if the pieces are pink in the middle as they have not finished cooking.
- Add the oil and spices to the pan, turn up the heat and fry until fragrant. Then add the chicken and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Warm the tortillas, and serve stuffed with the chicken and other ingredients.
- This may seem like a long-winded way to cook chicken, but it ensures that the meat is juicy. For this quantity the whole process only takes about 10 minutes, most of which is the shredding.
- This is very much street food, so don’t expect to eat them tidily!
- A lot of commercial corn tortillas have wheat in them. Mexgrocers.co.uk sells much more authentic ones in large packets.
- Can be served as a starter by using small tortilla chips and spooning the chicken and other stuff on before eating in one mouthful. Try using a crisp lettuce leaf such as iceberg or gem instead of the tortilla chip.