Pilau Rice (heat scale 1/10)
For the perfect pilau rice! Our recipe gives you the spices to make a huge feast's-worth in a mix of white and yellow. (40g net)
- half packet pilau rice mix
- 1.5 lb/ 750g basmati rice
- Place 500g/1 lb of the rice in a pan and add a similar quantity of water.
- Stir in the spice mix, bring to the boil and simmer until nearly cooked. Drain and place in an ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile cook the remaining rice, add to the dish and mix in with the yellow rice. Put in a medium oven for about 15 minutes. This will dry the rice slightly and give it that restaurant texture.
- I have noticed that recipes always say wash the rice first. Since I buy mine from well-known UK supermarkets I have never felt the need, and we are all still alive!
- If you want to use the whole packet and freeze the leftovers, go ahead. We freeze everything (except potatoes): just bag it up, and then when you want to eat it defrost for an hour or more, put it in the microwave with a small amount of water and heat for 1-2 minutes.