Thai Squid with Peppers
This is a very easy Thai recipe. We cooked it with quite small hoods which we sliced into rings. If you buy large ones then cut the hood open so it is a flat sheet. Cut a criss-cross pattern with a sharp knife before cutting it into pieces about 2 by 4cm. This means they curl into an attractive bite-sized piece when cooked (see photo). NB don't overcook squid: it gets very chewy!
- 500g squid hoods, cut into bite-sized pieces (see above)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 green & 1 red pepper, each cut into strips & halved
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 125ml water
- 1 tbsp each of palm or muscavado sugar, fish sauce, sweet chilli sauce, kecap manis or soy sauce, oyster sauce
- 2-3 small red chillies, chopped (optional)
- handfull green beans or broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2-3 spring onions, sliced
- Mix the water with the sugar & sauces.
- Heat the oil in a large wok and fry the garlic until golden. Add the optional chillies at this stage.
- Add the peppers & vegetables and quickly fry for a moment before adding the sauce mix. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the squid & cook for about 2 minutes (see above).
- Scatter with the spring onions & serve with plain or jasmine rice.
- You can use either soy sauce or kecap manis in this recipe. The soy is less sweet so it is up to you what flavour you are going for.
Send Us Your Comments
Please fill out the form below to let us know your comments.