Corn Bread Recipe
This very traditional American recipe has added cheese and is delicious with chilli. You can bake it in a 22cm/ 9 inch cake tin or it makes 6-8 muffins. Do not mistake cornmeal (polenta - try the pasta section in your supermarket) for cornflour!
- 140g/ 5oz plain flour (or strong bread flour - see below)
- 140g/ 5oz cornmeal (polenta)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 rounded tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 250ml/ 8floz milk
- 60ml/ 2floz ordinary cooking oil
- 100g/ 3.5oz cheddar, grated
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Grease a 9 inch deep cake tin or line a muffin tin with 6-8 paper cases.
- Stir the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs, milk and oil and add to the dry mixture.
- Stir in the cheese, then pour into the cake tin/ muffin cases.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly before eating.
- Any leftovers can be warmed up by wrapping in foil and heating in the oven for 10 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Using bread flour (we discovered by accident!) gives a much denser texture which you may prefer.
Send Us Your Comments
Please fill out the form below to let us know your comments.